Sea Shuttle into the heart of the Tonga Island Marine Reserve. Kayak and discover the Tonga Island Fur Seal colony, Falls River Lagoon among other highlights. On the second day enjoy a leisurely pace as you explore the park by land.
View our Map
$245.00 Adult + Accommodation
Experience the Abel Tasman from land and water. Join our popular Big Tonga Overnighter and experience the Park over 2 days. Guided Kayaking into the Tonga Island Marine Reserve from Onetahuti making your way down the coast, exploring Falls River lagoon (tide dependent) and secluded beaches and bays along the way. We’ll discover: Tonga Island Seal Colony, Falls River Lagoon*, Tonga Arches, and kayak sailing (weather permitting). After a great kiwi picnic and refreshing swim, we’ll paddle on to Anchorage, where you can either choose from the DOC hut, Aqua Packers or camping.
What's on offer:
- Free return bus transfer from Nelson and Motueka to Kaiteriteri
- Two day kayak and walk combos include all Water Taxi transfers.
- Free transfer of your overnight gear to Anchorage.
- A packed lunch is included in the Kayak trip. You supply all other meals.
- Secure free overnight car parking at Kaiteriteri.
- Accommodation and Overnight permits can be arranged with the Department of Conservation (DOC) or Aqua Packers and is an additional cost.
Your Accommodation needs to booked and confirmed before booking this tour.
Sleep in and take a relaxed self-guided walk from Anchorage south to Apple Tree Bay for a Sea Shuttle pick up at 12pm, 1:50pm or 4pm. This leisurely walk takes about 2.5 hours. Or take a detour and explore Cleopatra’s Pool (add 2hrs) or historic Pitt Head and Te Pukatea Bay (add 1 hr).
We hold a marine mammal permit and can get close to the Fur Seals at Tonga Island.
Whats on offer
- Beautiful Onetahuti beach
- Tonga Island Marine Reserve
- Tonga Arches unique rock formations
- Exploration of Bark Bay
- Pinnacle Island
- Photo opportunities at Falls River lagoon
- Pristine waters of Anchorage and Torrent bays
- Accommodation extra. Camping, hut and boat accommodation options available
Trip: Big Tonga Overnighter
Food: Lunch included on kayaking day. Please bring 1 breakfast, 1 lunch and 1 dinner, snacks and water
Paddling: Approx 12km. 4½ hours including breaks
Walking: Up to 11 km. 2 – 4 hours
Sailing: Up to 30 minutes
Water Taxi: 2 x Sea Shuttles. Approx 1 hour, and approx 20 minutes
Check-in: 8:30am at Kaiteriteri Base
Briefing: About 25 mins
Duration: 2 Days
Return: 4:30pm back at base
Age Limit: 14+ years
Not surprisingly, a local Maori tribe resided at Pitt Head (located just north of Te Pukatea Bay) as it is probably the most formidably defensive Pa (village) site in the Abel Tasman. The headland rises steeply from all sides. Its only access being a very narrow track joining it to the mainland.
Pitt Head also provides one of the best photo viewpoints in the Abel Tasman, looking down over the beautiful crescent beach of Te Pukatea Bay.
What You Need to Bring
- Food (1 x dinner, 1 x breakfast and 1 x lunch)
- T-shirt / shorts / warm top / swimming togs / towel / sunglasses and hat / sandals or trainers / rain jacket / a spare set of warm non kayaking gear for the evening. Include long pants, warm top (wool or fleece), socks, T Shirt.
- Don’t forget – medication / sunscreen / insect repellent / toiletries /camera / water bottles
- Camping equipment – all this gear can be hired from us.
- Tent, sleeping bag and mat
- Cooker with fuel and lighter
- Pots, bowls cups and cutlery
- Head torch
Camping equipment needs to be arranged at least the day prior to travel.
What We Supply
Top quality double kayak, life jackets, paddles, spray skirts, dry bags for cameras, safety briefing and guide on the first day. We also supply hot chocolate, fresh ground coffee, tea and biscuits and lunch on day one. We hire all necessary camping, Equipment & Gear