Get the best of both worlds!
This option combines a day of walking with our most popular day trip, Astrolabe Explorer. You walk the heart of the park section of the coastal track from Medlands Beach (Bark Bay) arriving at Anchorage, nicely located in the National Park. Spend the night either in the hut or camping before kayaking home on the second day.
Meet us on day one and we will organise all of your gear, and Sea Shuttle drop-offs so that you can enjoy the first day hiking to Anchorage with just a day pack (gear transfer included). Spend the first night at Anchorage and meet your guide at 10am the next morning to do the Astrolabe Explorer trip back to Kaiteriteri.
What is included
• Free return bus transfer from Nelson and Motueka to Kaiteriteri
• Two day kayak and walk combos include all Water Taxi transfers.
• Free transfer of your overnight gear to Anchorage.
• A packed lunch is included in the Kayak trip. You supply all other meals.
• Secure free overnight car parking at Kaiteriteri.
Accommodation is an additional cost and can be booked directly with the Department of Conservation. Let us help you with this.
Learn more about booking and organising your accommodation in the Abel Tasman.
- Walk south from Medlands Beach (Bark Bay) through native bush and along golden sand beaches
- Kayak on our most popular day trip; The Astrolabe Explorer, from Anchorage, south to Kaiteriteri
- NZ Fur Seal encounters when kayaking
- A chance to walk in the heart of the park
- No experience necessary. Guided kayaking
- Accommodation extra.Camping, hut and boat accommodation options available
|Food:||Lunch included on kayaking day. Please bring 1 breakfast, 1 lunch and 1 dinner, snacks and water.|
|Paddling:||Approx 1kms. 3.5 hrs including breaks|
|Walking:||Approx 3.5 – 4 hrs depending on tides|
|Sailing:||Up to 30 minutes|
|Water Taxi:||1 Sea Shuttle. Approx 45 minutes|
|Check-in:||8:30am at Kaiteriteri Base|
|Briefing:||About 25 mins|
|Duration:||8:30am – 4:30pm|
|Return:||4:30pm back at base|
Open summer 2015-2016 (October 1, 2015 – April 30, 2016).
Adult: $195.00 plus accommodation
All prices are in New Zealand dollars and include sales tax (GST).
Start your trip on day one at Kaiteriteri beach. Here we will organize any rental equipment you may need for camping, camp passes, maps and your backpacks to be dropped to Anchorage later that day.
Cruise with Abel Tasman Sea Shuttle from Kaiteriteri to Medlands Beach (Bark Bay) viewing the famous Split Apple Rock and New Zealand Fur Seals at Adele Island. Explore the secluded beaches and bays before leaving the boat at Medlands Beach. Walk unguided along the coastal track through lush native bush, experience the Falls River swing bridge and the views down Falls River lagoon. The track takes you into Torrent Bay and if you have time you can visit Cleopatra’s Pools before walking onto Anchorage. This hike takes approximately 4 hours depending on the tide and is one of our most popular walks. Stay the night in Anchorage, whether it’s in a DOC Hut or camping at the beach front campground.
The next morning you will meet our Kayak guide and join our Astrolabe Explorer guided kayak trip. Trip highlights include exploring the beaches and bays of Astrolabe, kayaking down the ‘Mad Mile’ with the wind and, paddling with seals at Adele Island. We move in the same direction as the prevailing sea breeze which gives us great kayak sailing opportunities. We check out Split Apple Rock on the last run home to Kaiteriteri.
Please note: This itinerary is an outline only. Your guide may decide to vary this program based on their judgement of weather and sea conditions and client ability/fitness levels.
What You Need to Bring
- Food (1 x dinner, 1 x breakfast and 1 x lunch)
- T-shirt / shorts / warm top / swimming togs / towel / sunglasses and hat / sandals or trainers / rain jacket / a spare set of warm non kayaking gear for the evening. Include long pants, warm top (wool or fleece), socks, T Shirt.
- Don’t forget – medication / sunscreen / insect repellent / toiletries /camera / water bottles
- Camping equipment – all this gear can be hired from us.
- Tent, sleeping bag and mat
- Cooker with fuel and lighter
- Pots, bowls cups and cutlery
- Head torch
What We Supply
Top quality double kayak, life jackets, paddles, spray skirts, dry bags for cameras, detailed maps, safety briefing and guide on the first day. We also supply hot chocolate, fresh ground coffee, tea and biscuits and lunch on the second day. We hire all necessary camping equipment.